Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Last night I dreamed about a washing machine!

Yes, this post is about my new washer and dryer. It seems like a pretty lame thing to be blogging about, but you can't imagine what a nightmare it has been to not have one for the last year.

I didn't start doing my own laundry until I went away to college. I lived in Heritage Halls for two years, and I used to be able to get two loads of laundry done for about $4. It was conveniently located in the basement of my building. I often made trips to my grandma's house in Ogden, where I usually did a load of laundry, too. When I got home from my mission, my parents were living in Salt Lake, and I probably did laundry 5 times at my apartment complex in the three years I was in Provo post-mission.


I have now lived in Lubbock for a little over a year, and during that time, I have mostly done my laundry in laundromats because, despite having washer/dryer hookups, I did not have a washer or a dryer. My complex has a laundry room, but it is terrible, and the fact that they haven't done much to fix an entire roomful of broken washers and dryers leads me to believe that everyone else in the complex does what I do, either go to the nearest laundromat, or buy their own washer and dryer.


The laundromat is not convenient. I end up spending a couple of hours there waiting for my laundry, which I usually do not have time to then go home and put away, so I drive around with it all day. Some dryers work better than others, and I never have enough for more than two full loads, so I always wash all of my darks together and all of my lights together. Consequently, I don't bleach anything, and my whites never look as good as they should.


Recently, I decided to take the plunge and buy the appliances. After consulting people who own washers and dryers, whose advice was, "Don't buy what we bought," I purchased some at Sears.


Before they came, I had to clean out my laundry room, which looked like this:



They were delivered to my apartment on Thursday morning, but the men who were supposed to hook them up discovered that the dryer vent was pushed too far into the wall to connect it to the dryer.





The round hole is where the vent should be sticking out. They hooked up the washer, and I promptly did a load of whites, as I was running dangerously low on underwear, which I dried like this:


This picture is actually from an instance in which I did my laundry in my apartment complex laundry room and nothing got dry. You will notice how many Shade shirts I own.
This morning, sometime between my morning run and when I got out of the shower, the maintenance men came by to take care of the vent problem:



Yeah, their solution was to make a big gaping hole in the drywall. I think I could have done that myself, but I probably wouldn't have felt good about it.

So, now I have a washer and dryer, and they are the most beautiful things in the world. When did I become so enthralled with such mundane things?

I think this blog thing needs to be more interactive. Should you choose to comment, think of an instance when adulthood snuck up on you and you found yourself getting excited over something really boring, like a good carpet cleaner.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

New appliances are always fun! Yay!

Maria said...

I totally understand. I, to this point, have still never had my own washer and dryer. Unless you count that washer/dryer combination in our tiny apartment in Japan. But we both know that that dryer mangled our clothes better than it dried them. Not to mention the fact that once you started a cycle, the machine would wash, and then immediately dry the clothes without giving you a chance to take anything out...and it would take 4 hours!!