Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Gingerbread Cupcakes



I had a few recipes that intended to make over Christmas that I did not. This was one such recipe. Again, I don't really understand why Martha Stewart includes so many recipes that are somewhat similar, like the two pumpkin recipes, and two ginger recipes. But this was a good one. Simple, sweet.

Had I made them Martha's way, I would have topped them with gingerbread men and women. Seeing as how it is past Christmas, I elected not to do that.

Gingerbread Cupcakes
Makes 22

1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. unsulfured molasses
4 large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Line standard muffin tins with liners. Sift together flour and spices. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add molasses, and beat until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture, beating until just combined.

Divide batter evenly among lied cups. Bake about 25 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Frost with fluffy vanilla frosting. Or, if you prefer, top with sweetened whipped cream, instead.

Because there isn't a lot to say about this recipe, I thought I would showcase my aprons. As I mentioned before, I received three aprons for Christmas this year. Each one of them was unique and reflective of the person who gave it to me. I love all of them, and consider it a shame that when I bake, it's usually just me, so no one actually gets to see me in my cute aprons.

Stephanie gave me this one. If you can't tell, it is covered in very intricate embroidery, and, when I put it on, it looks like a cute halter dress.

Maria made me this one by hand. I am a huge fan of the pockets, and it matches the appliances in my kitchen.

Anne gave me this one. If I can find a skirt out of this fabric, I will be very excited.

I think these cupcakes have become a big part of my identity. Either that, or I am walking around with food stains on my clothes.

1 comment:

Abercornucopia said...

I love that you now have aprons to match your moods. Am I feeling a little exotic? How 'bout the black and white floral today. Want a little throw back-cherries. Feeling a bit demure, yet sassy? Bring on the embroidery! I think you should start including pics of you with the finished cupcake products so we can see what mood you were in while baking. :]