Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Female Mind

This weekend, the moviemaking continued. To keep to our schedule, we decided we really needed to shoot something, so we decided to shoot a skit I wrote, called The Female Mind.


The premise is not new. It involves four girls who live in a house together. One of them comes home from a date, and the four of them get out the ice cream and deconstruct the meaning of the date to decide as a group if he likes her. Sound familiar? The script is only slightly exaggerated from my own reality. When I showed it to the other girls who were in the skit, the inevitable response was, "It's so true." Of course, when I showed it to Layne, he loved it, but he said, "Really? Y'all are crazy."


The skit ends with two of the girls driving over to the guy's apartment to see if he picked up another date and went back to his apartment to cuddle with her. To do so, they dress in black and cover their heads with a ski mask and a pair of pantyhose. This part is the slight exaggeration, although, Lisa, if you are reading this, you may remember hearing a true story about two girls dressed up exactly like that. I couldn't resist. Just the ski mask and pantyhose. Several people admitted to driving by a guy's apartment to see if he was with another girl. So, possibly we are crazy. Of course, because the dichotomy is funny, we are adding in a scene at the end where her date comes home, and his roommate (who had no idea he had even gone on a date) asked him if he thought the girl liked him. He shrugs, and heads off to bed.


Before anyone accuses me of plagiarism, let me say that, yes, I did see this done on an episode of Friends (The One With the List), as well as in a Brand X skit. I'm sorry, Ami and Joel. I didn't steal any dialogue-just the premise. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?


Anyway, Ashley was kind enough to let us use her house for this endeavor, after we decided that my apartment was too dark, and we would have to do too much to Layne's house to make it pass for a place where women would live. Between the four actresses, the hostess, and the person doing everything from writing to craft service, Layne was outnumbered 6 to 1. He had to keep running into Ashley's bedroom to check the score on the UT game and reclaim his masculinity.



Below is NOT a video of the actual movie. This video is of Layne reading the lines for our actresses, which is almost as funny. I think this clip provides excellent insight into why I am not the one running the camera, and why I am okay handling props and scenery.






Yeah, I haven't really grasped the whole videotaping-with-my-digital-camera thing. If you are reluctant to watch it because of the sideways thing, I eventually fixed it.





Here is a shot of our four actresses. From left to right, we have Karli, Sam, Allison, and Breanne, otherwise known as Girl 1, Girl 2, Girl 3, and Girl 4, respectively. As far as acting goes, they surpassed my wildest expectations, and they were troopers.






And here we have a shot of our crew. They are both over a foot taller than I am, which is why they hunched or knelt down. I'm pretty sure Ashley would kill me if she knew I posted this picture. Don't tell.

Also, the bits and pieces I have taken with my digital camera may be the only parts that ever get posted on this blog. The first scene we shot was something like 2GB, and Blogger only uploads 100MB. I think we could put it on YouTube and link it from there, but Layne would never allow it.

4 comments:

Melanee said...

I'm glad that I'm actually related to you, instead of just a stalker on your blog so that I might actually get to see this movie someday when you have a hard copy of it. You will have a hard copy of it, won't you? Also, your Tinkerbell picture is cute. But it's very large and Tinkerbell is very small. Have you tried resizing it?

Melanee said...

Also, I tagged you on my blog. I noticed you've been doing a lot of tags lately, so if you don't feel like doing this one, you better suck it up and do it anyway, or else I'm gonna be mad.

Melanee said...

Just kidding. Hey, where'd your picture go?

Ami said...

You don't have to apologize, you just have to pay us royalties.
I am excited to see it, too. And I'm glad you're having fun out there in Texas.