Thursday, December 10, 2009

One-bowl Chocolate Cupcakes

Of all of the recipes I have made, this is one I envision using a lot after this experiment is over. It's very similar to a cake mix, in that you combine everything except for the eggs, oil, and water first. Like the name suggests, you make it all in one bowl. I even used my hand mixer for a change of pace.


I made these for an MFT program party. Sadly, there were about 10 desserts at this party, and, even though people said they liked my cupcakes, there were still a ton left. Fortunately, I taught Relief Society on Sunday, and managed to get rid of the rest of them.

Here is a link to the recipe, which is super easy. Make it, and you will be amazed at how easy homemade cupcakes can be.

This is a versatile recipe. To add a festive air, I took one of Martha's decorating suggestions, and piped little wreaths around each of them. Okay, I piped wreaths around 15 or so of them, and then my hand started to cramp, and I had to stop.

I used a Wilton cake tip #352 to pipe three rings of individual leaves around each cupcake. When I took them to work, my friend Amanda suggested I just use a large star tip (#23) to pipe a circle around the outside and dip it in green sugar crystals. That ended up being less pretty, but much easier.

Almost unanimously, the favorite part of these cupcakes was the frosting, which was Swiss Meringue Buttercream. It is extremely light and almost velvety, and it pipes very well. Also, it's pretty exciting to watch it go from clumps of butter and egg whites to frosting in my KitchenAid. It's my go-to recipe for decorating, which, after these wreaths, I have decided is highly overrated.

No comments: