Saturday, July 31, 2010

Day 17: Niagara Falls



Our last day in New York included a trip to Niagara Falls. Niagara Falls is actually made up of three smaller waterfalls: American Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, and Canadian/Horseshoe Falls. 600,000 gallons go over the Horseshoe Falls every second.

Niagara Falls is technically part of the New York Rochester Mission. At least, the American side is. However, I never saw Niagara Falls on my mission. I'm told, though, that the Canadian side is better.

It was a short trip. We crossed the Canadian border, where we presented our passports.

Then, we boarded the Maid of the Mist, which is a boat that takes a short trip toward the falls, close enough to get all of the people on the boat wet, and then comes back.

We got these nifty rain ponchos to put over our clothes to keep us dry:
They didn't always help.
We made a brief stop at a souvenir shop where I bought a Toronto Maple Leafs' shirt.

I didn't buy many souvenirs on this trip. However, I did make an effort to get a t-shirt in every city we visited that had an NHL team.

I bought a New York Rangers' shirt, a Pittsburg Penguins' shirt (it looks like Sidney Crosby's jersey), and a Philadelphia Flyers' shirt.

Another tidbit that no one will find interesting is that I have managed to collect t-shirts from four of the Original Six NHL teams (Chicago Blackhawks, Detroit Redwings, Toronto Maple Leafs, and New York Rangers). At some point, I am sure I will get one from Boston. I have trouble imagining any reason that I will ever been in Montreal.

We ended up back in Ohio, where we had a giant chef's salad and a fruit salad for dinner. Tomorrow we will be visiting Kirtland.

No comments: