Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day 10: Gettysburg

We got up early this morning to head to Gettysburg. I had never been to Gettysburg before, so it was kind of exciting to get to see it.

Our little tour group descended on Gettysburg at the exact same time as a large group of bikers. What I did not take a picture of was the booth selling Gettysburg-themed motorcycle clothing.
The town of Gettysburg is small, and quite a tourist town. Pictured below is a motel around the border of which is the Gettysburg Address, which I tried to memorize during the trip. I'm pretty close.

I took lots of pictures at Gettysburg, mostly for my dad, who is a big Civil War buff. However, I can't remember much about any of the

This is the Eternal Light Peace Memorial on Oak Hill.

Here is a shot of me in front of one of the cannons at Big Round Top.

Here are some of the graves at Gettysburg.

After Gettysburg, we headed to the Washington D.C. Temple. It was built in 1974. As you can see, it has an awesome reflecting pool near the visitors' center.
Of the 133 temples that are in operation, Washington D.C. is number 16, chronologically. For many years, it was the only temple east of the Mississippi.

The day finished in our hotel room in Alexandria, which, I have to say, is easily the worst place I have stayed in all my trips to D.C. I finally got out my pants with the orange juice on them from Tuesday. They smelled like yeast and feet. They are now soaking in the bathtub, and I am less than optimistic about whether or not I will be able to get the stains out. My mom has graciously offered to help.

No comments: