Sunday, March 21, 2010

My Kind of Town Chicago is



I spent the good part of my spring break in Chicago. The official reason for this was an interview for a post-doctoral fellowship in medical family therapy. However, that was over on Monday, and I spent three extra days there seeing the city with Kit, who is about to graduate from Purdue Calumet and move from Chicago to Minnesota.

After my interview on Monday, I was too tired to do much else, so we had deep dish pizza at Lou Malnati's, and then went home to bed.

Tuesday started early with lunch at Cosi, and a trip to the Art Institute of Chicago. I think we spent no less than two hours in the impressionist wing alone.


A word about this picture: I love this picture. I remember learning about the impressionists in fourth grade when Judi Nielson would come into our elementary school class periodically and teach us about art, and I remember this painting in particular because of the enormity of the canvas and because Seurat painted it by individually painting tiny dots of color that the eye blends together when it is viewed. Sunday Afternoon on the Isle of La Grande Jatte is one of those paintings that is so famous that it has entered popular culture in a different way than most works of art. It is pictured in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

It is the only painting I can think of about which there was a Broadway Musical written. And I think it was the musical that is the reason this picture has had an impact on my life. It's a Stephen Sondheim musical aptly titled Sunday in the Park with George. If you are interested, you can Netflix a performance on DVD starring Mandy Patinkin as Georges Seurat and Bernardette Peters as his mistress, Dot (ha ha). Seurat is portrayed as a workaholic who spends so much time on his painting that he neglects the people who are important to him. This point is illustrated in a song called "Finishing the Hat." The hat in question is the one on the woman in the foreground with the umbrella and the monkey on a string, who, in the play, represents Dot. One of my favorite lines goes:

“And when the woman that you wanted goes,

You can say to yourself, ‘Well, I give what I give.’

But the woman who won't wait for you knows

That, however you live,

There's a part of you always standing by,

Mapping out the sky,

Finishing a hat...

Starting on a hat..

Finishing a hat...

Look, I made a hat...

Where there never was a hat.”

I love this song because, often, in my life, this is what I do. I love this painting because I can appreciate the work that it takes to get something the way that you want it. And I love Chicago for bringing me this close to something I had only previously read about. It wouldn't happen in Lubbock.


I always think it's weird to take pictures of paintings, but this one made me laugh. It was painted by Pablo Picasso, and it is called Crazy Woman With Cats.

We stayed until the museum closed, and then we took a quick trip to Millennium Park. Everytime someone I know goes to Chicago, they post a picture like this:


It's officially called Cloud Gate, but everyone refers to it as "The Bean." I googled "The Bean" and this was the first thing that came up. After that, we headed down Michigan Avenue toward the John Hancock Tower. You may wonder why we selected the Hancock Tower instead of the Sears Tower, which is taller and, one could argue, much more famous. However, the Hancock Tower is in a location that makes it easy to see the rest of Chicago from its observation deck, and it has a tour that is narrated by this man:

This probably won't mean anything to anyone else, but when Kit and I were roommates, we watched many episodes of Friends on TV. Between the two of us, we own 14 seasons on DVD. So it seemed fitting that my Chicago experience should include David Schwimmer, who went to Northwestern and started the Looking Glass Theatre downtown. And when we got home that night, we watched an episode of Friends on DVD.

This is a shot of the city from the observation deck of the tower.

It just so happened that Wednesday was St. Patrick's Day. In Chicago, this is a big deal. The day before I arrived (Saturday) they dyed the river green. Of course, it wasn't still green on St. Patrick's day, but it was still a big deal. Also, most of the parades happened over the weekend, and, seeing as how neither Kit nor I are drinkers, we weren't really sure how to properly celebrate the occasion.

So we went to this place:

And ate this:

And this:

They had signs like these:

And these Port-a-potties:

We spent some time driving around. We saw the Baha'i Temple, which looked like this:

And we spent a little bit of time walking around the Northwestern and University of Chicago campuses.

And, of course, we made cupcakes.

Thursday, we headed to Wrigleyville, which is the area around Wrigley Field, where the Cubs play. After we walked around the outside of Wrigley Field, we decided to stop for lunch at this place:

That's right: we made it to a restaurant visited by Adam Richman on Man vs. Food. It was a very exciting moment. And to top it off, they were playing NCAA tournament games on six different TVs, so we got to see the end of the BYU game. I am ashamed to say that, in my March Madness bracket, I had BYU slated to lose that game, but I was still pretty happy to see the Cougs win a tourney game for a change.

On a completely unrelated note, we saw this on one of the houses in the neighborhood:

How did the Texas Longhorn get all the way up here?

We walked a little bit around the area while I searched for a Blackhawks' t-shirt. A few years ago, I started collecting college t-shirts from places where I'd been, so I picked one up at Northwestern. Then, a year or two later, I started to buy NHL shirts when I was in a city that had a team. The stores in Wrigleyville were selling Blackhawks' shirts, but I had my eye on a specific design:

You see, the Chi-rish, as they refer to themselves, have so much Irish pride that, sometimes, it spills out onto their favorite sports teams. We saw many Irish Cubs' and White Sox t-shirts', but only a few Blackhawks' ones, which is a travesty, particularly considering how many American hockey players of Irish descent there are.

We found this shirt in one of the shops next to Lucky's, but it was way too big. Consciously or not, we made it a quest to find this shirt in my size. We checked Wrigleyville, Navy Pier, and every t-shirt shop along Michigan Avenue along the way.

We finally found it in one of the shops along Michigan Avenue, but the store was about to close and the door was already locked. We stood outside looking sad until the proprietor felt bad and let us come inside to buy the shirt.

With that taken care of, we browsed through some of the nicer shops on Michigan Avenue, and I bought these:

They are supposedly replacing cupcakes as the "it" dessert.

Sadly, I put them in my suitcase, and by the time I got home the next day, they were pretty much dust.

However, considering that was the worst part of my Chicago visit, I couldn't complain too much. It was a great spring break!

3 comments:

Ami said...

That looks like a super fun week. I have fantasized about uprooting and moving to Chicago. I chose that city randomly because I haven't been there but it seems really cool. It occurred to me later that Chicago would be the city farthest from both sides of our families without leaving the country. I'm not sure if that was an unconscious factor in my Chicago fantasies.
P.S. I can't tell what those cupcake replacement things are.

Kit said...

I love this! It was so much fun to have you here!!!

Jaime Foote said...

I LOVE Chicago! I went on a girls trip two years ago and we went and saw Wicked and Jersey Boys. Did a whole lot of shopping and sightseeing including the double decker bus tour and the boat tour down the river. I LOVED it!!! If you end up there I will totally be visiting!