Sunday, August 3, 2008

Leg 1: Rexburg


The first part of my trip started on Friday, August 1. I flew into Salt Lake City around 3:30, and promptly headed up to Rexburg for Rachel's wedding. I got caught in rush-hour traffic between Salt Lake and Davis Counties, but I managed to get to Rexburg by 8:00, just in time to help set up for the reception the next day.


I stayed with Rachel in her new house on the night before her wedding. They have already adopted two cats, who both seemed to know that I am destined to become the spinster crazy cat lady. When I woke up on Saturday morning, they were both sleeping on my face.

The ceremony was in the Rexburg temple, which is gorgeous. That day, there were 12 other weddings besides Rachel's, so we had to wait in line for an opportunity to pose in front of the temple.


Here's Rachel and her husband, Rick, coming out of the temple. It's hard to believe she's the same girl I met six years ago at a stake conference who shot her missionary a dirty look when he said she was going to be baptized. I'm so proud of her.

Her mother Sally, and her stepfather, whose name is also Rick, flew to Idaho for the reception. It was nice to see them again. We had a bit of a gap between the sealing and the reception, during which time, I decided to see what I could of the fine city of Rexburg-as a side note, Rachel lives in Plano, which is about 9 miles outside of Rexburg, and somewhat rural. Having known Batavia, NY as "the city" for most of her life, Rachel doesn't seem to mind too much.

I took the opportunity to stop in at the BYU Idaho Bookstore, which was right across the street from the temple. Interestingly, the campus looks very similar to the one in Provo.


I meandered over to the student center and located the bookstore, along with this sign:

That's right. BYU Idaho has rollerskating inside their ballroom! On Monday nights! How cool would that be for FHE? I wonder if they do disco skating.

I don't have a shot of the bookstore, which was the second college bookstore I had been to in a week (not counting Tech's bookstore). Compared to the UT bookstore, it didn't have much apparel, but I bought yet another college t-shirt from yet another college I will never attend.

The reception started at 1:00, and I stayed just long enough to have some of the fabulous cake pictured above, before I headed back to Salt Lake to spend some time with Melanee, George, Sammie, and Kevin before heading to San Diego on Monday.

1 comment:

Melanee said...

Okay, so is it really necessary to have "No Chewing" and "No Food or Drink" as two separate rules? Do they have people chewing on other things that don't fall in the blanket category of Food and Drink? Or does BYU-Idaho have a problem w/ tobacco-chewing rollerskaters?