Sunday, April 26, 2009

Wake Me Up Before You Go-go

The end of the semester is just days away, and things are starting to fly by really fast. I should be doing a thousand other things right now, but I am updating my blog with pictures from the 80's prom we had last weekend. That's right, 80's proms have made their way to Lubbock, and this one was a big hit with the members of my branch, whether they remembered the 80's or not. Here's a shot of me with Ashley, who remembers more 80's and 90's trivia than anyone I know.
She's also one of the greatest dressers I know, both in her regular life and in her pretend life. Look closely at the details, like her earrings and the scarf in her hair. Also, she is wearing socks and high heels. You may be wondering about my costume, as it looks more medieval than Reagan-era. The look I was going for was Molly Ringwald in Sixteen Candles. Unfortunately, no one in the branch besides Ashley had ever seen that movie.


I am not normally much of a dancer (in public, I mean. In my car, or with Sammie in the living room, I'm a maniac). However, this was an occasion that definitely called for careless disregard of public opinion as I found myself dancing with Rudy to Beat It.  Apparently, he watched the video enough to memorize it, so I followed his lead as we started out on opposite sides of the room and came toward each other in a menacing fashion. What Rudy lacked in costume, he made up for in choreography.

Halfway through the night, my bridesmaid's dress started to get really hot, so I changed. Yes, I realize it was sort of bizarre that I brought a second outfit to the dance in anticipation of getting too hot, but it was not my first church dance. Pinned to my shoulder is a corsage I made in an attempt to hang on to the skills I learned from my floral design class. It was not a great attempt.

However, it was a great night. To finish off this post, I would like to list off a few of my favorite things from the 80's:
  • Perms. Why did I frequently have a perm in the 80's? These days, I go out of my way to make my hair NOT curl.
  • Debbie Gibson. If my heart could write songs, they'd sound like her.
  • Cartoon bad guys. Murky Dismal. Gargamel. The Peculiar Purple Pieman of Porcupine Peak. They had style. I feel only slightly duped to realize that cartoons in the 80's were merely a giant marketing ploy to get parents to buy toys.
  • Leggings. 
  • Michael J. Fox. Marty McFly and Alex P. Keaton. Classic.
One more thing that I liked about the 80's was that I spent none of them feeling as tired and stressed out as I do right at this moment. I miss that.

2 comments:

Ami said...

I am impressed that you brought a backup outfit. And I am a little disappointed in you letting your floral abilities go (that is a joke. The practice I've been getting comes from Dane pulling my textbook off the shelf and looking at the pictures). I also forgot to call you this morning because I'm a big lame. My mother in law came into town and spent forever in the shower, my friend is in the hospital, I did my visiting teaching...blech. Sorry. I really wanted to talk to you. I will try again soon.

Melanee said...

When Sam saw the first picture in your post she said, "Oh! Megan is so beautiful!" Since she doesn't know how to type, I thought I'd pass that along.