Thursday, June 28, 2012

Broadway Rant: Rent

I just watched Rent (the movie) for the first time. I have never been a huge fan of the story itself, but the musical itself is intriguing, as it featured breakout performances by some of Broadway's biggest stars of today, and, I presume, it is where Taye Diggs and Idina Menzel met and fell in love. I admire the way they managed to retain so much of the original Broadway cast for the movie--something that is rarely even attempted. Also, I dare you to listen to "Seasons of Love" and not get the "Five hundred twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes," refrain stuck in your head.

It's the story of a group of bohemians living in New York, many of whom are HIV positive. Their worries mostly revolve around money (because none of them have it), their relationships (because they are not capable of having decent ones), and dying (because of the HIV). It is loosely based on the opera La Boheme, replacing tuberculosis with AIDS.

Many traditional theatergoers were not big fans of Rent, probably for the sexuality, the drug use, and the way everyone has AIDS. The thing I found most troubling (other than Adam Pascal's hair) was the fact that no one seemed to have a job. Granted, they were bohemian artists, and that seemed to be kind of the point, but it seems like kind of a no-brainer that if you don't have steady work, your chances of continuing to live in your apartment are pretty slim, regardless of whether or not Taye Diggs is your slumlord. I mean, don't most artists, musicians, and actors end up taking jobs as waitresses and couriers take jobs to make ends meet? Speaking of the apartment, I have to say that, at least in the movie, the apartment was HUGE. Did it not occur to the bohemians that they could probably get a smaller place and pay less rent?

Another thing that turned off traditional Broadway fans to Rent was the rock-opera feel of the score. Honestly, as long as someone is bursting into song at some point, I'm generally okay with whatever the style of music is. I kind of like the rock-and-roll-ness of Rent, which this cast pulls off beautifully. Even Taye Diggs has some pretty good singing chops. Of course, you have to bear in mind that this was not a stage show, but rather, a movie, and, typically, today, singing in TV and movies is "embellished." However, if you are really curious, it's basically the same cast as the OBC, so you can judge for yourself.

Or, if you want to approximate the stage show, there is a stage recording from the last Broadway performance in 2008. However, it contains none of the OBC, and instead, features, as Roger, a man one critic has referred to as "Not Adam Pascal" for his tendency to be the second actor in a role originated by Adam Pascal. However, he could also be called "Not Patrick Wilson," as he has also been the second guy in roles originated by Patrick Wilson. For those of you who are curious, this actor's name is Will Chase, and he can be seen in the first season of Smash.

Rent has not found its way onto my list of favorite musicals. However, the "live like you're dying" mentality of Rent is something I can get behind. While I have no plans to quit my job so that I can spend a year in my apartment trying to write ONE song, I can appreciate how much of my life slips away from me because I am doing things I have to do, or just doing things that don't have any meaning.

And, yes, I did download "Seasons of Love." Sue me.

1 comment:

Ami said...

My first (and second, and hundredth) exposure to "Seasons of Love" was having to play it in orchestra over and over again while the more popular kids were crowned as royalty in high school. I've always hated that song, even though I've never even heard the real recording (i.e., with words). And yeah, it gets stuck in my head anyway.