Sunday, January 29, 2012

A New Year

I realize that, in a couple of days, it will be February, and the New Year thing will be remarkably late, but I feel justified in whining that this month has been crazy, and I do not feel guilty for not blogging during January. I do not have the same excuse for the other months in which I have not blogged.

Some day I will add posts for some of the recent happenings in my life: a trip to Lubbock, a concert, a trip to Park City during the Sundance Film Festival. However, all of these things occurred the short span of a week, along with a pretty important job interview. So those will have to wait.

For now, I want to talk about my New Year's resolutions because I feel like it is a good way to hold myself accountable to accomplish them. I only had one resolution for myself for 2012, which goes something like this:

Quit messing around. (I know, it sounds like something my dad used to say to my brother Shane when he was a kid, accompanied by a good-natured shove to the back of Shane's head).

It seems like, since my mission, I have been looking forward to accomplishing some big goal in my life: graduating, getting into a masters' program, finishing classes, getting hours, taking the licensure exam, defending theses/dissertations, getting a job, keeping a job. You get the idea. Sometimes, I use these things as an excuse not to do other things in my life--the little things.

Consequently, I do not exercise regularly, my temple attendance has gotten spotty, and there are perpetually dishes in my sink. And I let these things slide because of the bigger goals, and think, "I'll have plenty of time for that stuff after (fill in the blank)."

Well, I am running out of these big goals/excuses, and it's time to fix some of these little things in my life.

Happy 2012!

1 comment:

Ami said...

Whoa, I usually just read your blog through my Google Reader, but I actually went to it today, and it looks so sleek and cool!
Is it weird that I kind of feel the opposite, like I have no big goal right now...yet I still have a hard time getting the little things done? Like I haven't been caught up on the dishes in days and days. Or the laundry. There is laundry still sitting in the dryer, getting wrinklier and wrinklier. But it is very important that I comment on your blog right now, duh.
Anyway, I wish you well on your resolution. Sounds like a good one. And I must add that you have accomplished a lot of really huge, impressive "big goals" in the past few years.