Thursday, February 5, 2009

Washington D.C.




Currently, I am in our nation's capitol, a city rich in history and culture, and I am sitting on the bed in my hotel room watching The Office because I don't feel very well. I credit this with the fact that I didn't sleep much last night, and I spent all day sitting in training sessions and eating heavy foods in between. 

Day 2-more of the same. However, we decided that we wanted to get out and see part of D.C. I wanted to at least see the White House, the Lincoln Memorial, and the Washington Monument while I was in D.C., so we anticipated going to dinner, taking a short tour of the important stuff, and heading home. So, feeling adventurous, we hopped on the Metro.
Here's a shot of Adriatik, Kim, and Laurelle on the Metro.

We made the mistake of thinking we wanted sushi. One of the other girls, Lucy, looked up what was supposed to be a good place on her Blackberry. However, when we got there, this is what we found:

That's the restaurant behind the CAUTION tape. Apparently, it was undergoing some sort of renovation/repairs. By the time we found it, it was after 9:00, and we were starving, so we opted for Thai food, instead.

Also, I discovered that my prior experiences navigating Tokyo helped me in D.C., as I narrowly saved us from getting on the wrong train.

The next day brought more training, more food, more tears, and, by the time it was all over, I was exhausted. Most of the other fellows went to see the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater in the city. Apparently, if they had gone on Friday, instead, they would have been there with the Obamas. Oh, well.

I, on the other hand, found sushi on the same street as our hotel, along with a charming candy store where I bought saltwater taffy for my students. 

Here's a picture of the restaurant. As many of you know, I often seek out sushi restaurants when I travel. Sometimes, they are amazing successes. Sometimes, they are not. How did this one rank? Pretty well. They had my beloved inari sushi, as well as katsu. Sadly, as soon as I was done, I had to go back to my hotel room and work.

So, what I have concluded it that it is great when my travel is paid for by AAMFT or Texas Tech. However, I have also concluded that it comes with many strings. I have two other trips planned to D.C. this year. Cross your fingers that, next time, I actually get to see some of it.

No comments: